Welcome to the Whitworth Genealogy Research Service
Offering a high standard of family history, house history and heraldic research in the counties of Gloucestershire (including Bristol), Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire (including Birmingham), Worcestershire and more widely throughout England and Wales.
Reasons why you might decide to use our Research Service for your research
- We have an academic background in teaching, lecturing, publishing and research.
- We have long and extensive experience managing a one-name-study project and our own personal research.
- We are aware of difficulties experienced by first time researchers who are looking to make a start with their own research, the more experienced researcher who wants to take their personal research on to the next stage and the professional who requires specialist research support outside their own region. We will be sympathetic to your requirements.
- We realise that access to primary sources is often a problem for researchers and that the option to travel to the multitude of archives throughout the UK is not always possible. Our research will make these sources available to you.
- Our charges are set at an affordable and competitive rate. You will not be charged for any research that you have not asked for.
What we can offer you
- Research in any geographical area throughout England and Wales.
- Look-ups, location and block extraction of records as well as more extensive research of sources at any archive or site.
- Research and interpretation of family and institutional heraldry.
- Transcription of documents of all types.
- Copy of all documents as photocopies or digital images.
- Presentation of your research illustrated by the use of pedigrees, birth briefs, written family histories, original documents and other formats.
- Photographic images of sites. For example houses, schools, churches and burial grounds.
- The opportunity to add to your own research and broaden your knowledge of an individual, institution or place.
- Guided site tours, allowing you the opportunity to visit places of interest and feel part of your research.
- Probate research (terms by negotiation).
What you will receive
- A confidential service.
- A personal service, leaving you in control of your research and being the owner of any research that is carried out.
- Regular updates by email of progress made for larger projects.
- The presentation of your research findings in printed and digital formats.
- A clear description of sources and work that has been carried out.
Starting the process
If you would like us to carry out work for you please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by post at :
Whitworth Genealogy Research Services
21 Geneva Close
It is important that you supply a clear starting point for the research you require. This may be a single record for an individual, a document reference or copy of a document, a coat of arms or a more extensive report of your research to date. Please let us know what records you already have so that you only pay for new research and ensure that we are not duplicating records that you already have. We will advise you of the most cost effective plan for your research.
You will receive a quotation for research to be carried out by return and a prompt response to all other enquiries. We will only proceed when you are happy with our quotation.
Cost of research is £12 per hour
- This includes the cost of photocopies of all essential documents but not certificates of birth, marriage or death which are charged at the national rate of £9.25 per certificate.
- All digital images are supplied free of charge.
- There is no cost for travel to any of the counties of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
- For travel outside the above counties a charge of £25 per day for London and £20 per day for all other places will be made.